Thursday, January 14, 2010

The spouses and Children of the Indian nationals, and persons of Indian origin: Obtain X ( Entry) visa for India

The spouses and Children of the Indian nationals, and persons of Indian origin should preferably enter India on X ( Entry) visa. In many instances, they enter India on a Tourist(T) Visa which is not a long term visa to stay in India. A tourist visa can not be extended except for emergencies. However, an X visa can be extended and the foreign national can stay for a long term in India after obtaining a residential permit form the FRO/FRRO. For the categories of foreign nationals mentioned above, a T visa can be converted to X visa by Ministry of Home Affairs at New Delhi. However, the process can be long and cumbersome. Presently, the Ministry of Home Affairs at New Delhi is not allowing conversion from T to X visa except for very limited circumstances.

It’s always better that the spouses and Children of the Indian nationals, and persons of Indian origin should obtain a PIO/OCI card as per their eligibility. Otherwise, they should seek X visas to enter India and not a T visa unless they want to visit India for a short pleasure trip.

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to get a X entry/Born India visa for my son (20 months old, born in India) who is a British passport holder. We applied for this at Bangalore FRRO in May 2011 as pre- requisite to OCI application and was told that this will be ready in a months time. But to my shock it is still pending despite my repeated correspondence with them. I have been passed from pillar to post every time I contacted the FRROs. Now they are asking me to go to Delhi in person to get the VISA on the same day or re- apply again in May 2012, as it may take another year to sort it out.

    Having called Delhi FRRO office, they sounded very amazed that B'lore FRRO is asking me to go there. It is extremely hard to get connected or speak to anyone in the FRRO office and when you are lucky you are bombarded with confusing and varying responses each time. No one seems to care or know what to advice. I guy told me to get exit visa and get OCI from London as it will only take 2 weeks. I don’t really understand why there is a difference in service and time delay in India?

    I got an OCI card with in 2 weeks for my 2 other children and myself, when I applied for it from London without any of these hassles.

    I found this ridiculous bureaucracy appalling, that our Indian foreign office couldn’t even give you an update or feedback for a simple visa application for 20 months old boy.

    I now really don’t know whom to contact or speak to. If anyone here had similar experience or positive experience please share it.

    ReplyDelete